Does the Color of Mold Determine How Dangerous It Is?

Can you Tell How Dangerous Mold is By Looking at the Color?

One people most households struggle with is treating mold. Unfortunately, molds are a natural constituent of the environment, and there is no way of permanently doing away with them. Mold thrives in a space where moisture is in plenty and air circulation is poor, explaining why you will mostly locate the Mold in your bathroom or under the sink. 

Mold can literally flourish in any room in your home, including the attic, basement, and on window seals. Keeping your family safe means treating mold and scheduling frequent maintenance to ensure the air quality in your home is good. Since molds come in different species, they also have different colors, confusing which is the most dangerous. 

What Does Mold Color Stipulate?

According to experts, it is difficult and close to impossible to tell the mold type, let alone the toxicity levels, by its color. Mold is categorized depending on structure and spores’ attributes. Additionally, experts insist that the growth structure of the spores must be analyzed to determine the type and health risks. 

People often assume that black mold is toxic simply because of its color. While black mold is actually toxic, it has nothing to do with its color but with the structure and composition of spores. When determining toxicity, mold color is irrelevant; hence, it cannot be used to determine the damage that can be suffered after exposure. Gauging the risk solely based on mold color will lead to inaccurate assumptions.

Mold Color Facts

  • Toxic Mold can be any color – while the most toxic molds come in dark colors like black, grey, and green, Mold can also be purple, pink, yellow, white, and even a mix of several colors. Mold color is rather influenced by the food it feeds on and the moisture content. Additionally, the light availability in the area mold has grown also affects the color.
  • Mold adapts to the environment – In various situations, the same mold can have various shades and even evolve with time. You might realize that mold in the bathroom sometimes starts with a yellow-whitish color and ends in black or grey.
  • Give all kinds of mold the same attention – Just because the mold growing in your home is a yellow, white, pink, or any other bright color does not mean you ignore it. Prolonged exposure to mold of any color is harmful to your health. If you inhale the spores for a long time, you might develop upper respiratory problems. Even though people react differently to mold, even within the same residence, one thing is certain: all types of mold are harmful. Even those who have no respiratory issues end up sick. 

Protect yourself when cleaning the Mold – It is always advised to consult a professional company that deals in mold removal to ensure the mold does not spread further and for health purposes. Professional companies always equip their staff with personal protective gear. If you can access such items, you can go ahead and remove the mold yourself but if not, avoid contact.

Comments are closed.