How to Find a Contractor to Help with Hurricane Ian Damage Recovery
After Hurricane Ian wreaked havoc in many Florida cities, property owners have begun efforts to rebuild homes and buildings.
However, many don’t know how to get a reliable contractor to help with storm damage recovery amid chaos. Here’s a short guide on how to do it.
Why Seek Help from Contractors?
A contractor offering quick emergency services after a hurricane can help homeowners and business owners inspect their homes or buildings.
After a full damage inspection, reputable contractors can give qualified estimates to people hoping to file an insurance claim.
In addition, reliable contractors have all the materials and tools necessary to restore homes and business facilities after extreme winds, downed trees, and flooding cause significant property damage.
Criteria That a Reliable Contractor Must Meet
While there are many contractors trained to handle restoration after a catastrophic hurricane, residents and business owners can protect themselves by verifying that the company meets the following criteria:
- Has a positive track record and a solid client base
- Can provide references from local clients
- Is fully insured and offers workers’ compensation
- Has experience in insurance claims
- Has passed a background check
Warning Signs: When Not to Hire a Contractor
Some contractors don’t have enough experience repairing storm damage. Here are some signs that the company is not worth it:
- Does not have a local office
- Does not provide local references
- Has accumulated bad reviews
- Requires deposit or cash in advance
- There’s no insurance or sufficient coverage
- Has out-of-state license plates
Questions to Ask Contractors
Before hiring a restoration contractor, each property owner should request information to get an idea of how the company will handle repairs and renovations. These are the most common questions:
- Can the contractor handle the insurance claim processes?
- Has the company clearly explained the steps that property owners must take in advance?
- Are contractors willing to answer all questions?
- Does the company consider the necessary permits?
- Does the contractor seem to be ethical and professional?
Common Restoration Services After Hurricane Damage
After a natural disaster like Hurricane Ian, property owners may consider hiring a contractor to provide emergency services, including:
- Emergency roofing for commercial, institutional, or industrial buildings
- Roof repair for houses and condominiums
- Water damage mitigation before reconstruction
- Debris and tree damage cleanup
- Window and door restoration
- building restaurant
- Home interior and exterior restoration
Emergency roofing and building restoration contractors can be great allies in post-hurricane recovery. However, home and business owners should follow these recommendations to ensure they choose a reliable company and protect their families amid difficult times.