Black Mold on College Campuses Dorms and School Classrooms

What Should Be Done If Black Mold Is Discovered Growing in a School or University ?


As more people become aware that exposure to mold can have a variety of negative health effects and symptoms, including allergic reactions, there has been an increase in concern about mold exposure indoors. This document provides instructions for addressing mold and moisture issues in commercial facilities, including schools.

Can we force the school or university to test for mold growth?

Testing for black mold growth is the most certain way to determine if there is a serious problem. Molds can be found almost anywhere, and as long as moisture and oxygen are present, they can develop on almost any organic material. They can develop on several materials, including wood, paper, carpet, food, and insulation. Mold growth usually happens when excessive moisture builds up in structures or on building materials, especially if the moisture issue is not identified or resolved.

Furthermore, mold spores cannot be completely removed from interior environments. However, by regulating indoor moisture, mold formation can be prevented.

Molds produce spores, which are usually invisible without a magnifying glass. Mold spores are constantly circulating in both indoor and outdoor air. Such spores may start to develop and consume whatever they are growing on when they land on moist surfaces indoors. Mold gradually ruins the materials it grows on.

Why Is Mold Such a Problem in College Dormitories?

Below are some of the reasons why mold is often found in universities/schools:

  • College students might not clean up water spills properly or maintain a clean bathroom, among other things.
  • Particularly in older dorms, bathrooms might not have sufficient ventilation or exhaust fans. Increased humidity brought on by shared bathrooms may encourage the growth of mold.
  • Like older homes, older dorms could be more prone to issues like leaky roofs, windows, and plumbing that can encourage the spread of mold.

What Should Students Do?

If students notice a wet carpet or notice a strange stench, they should notify the staff right away. Students should inform the maintenance team as soon as possible if mold is discovered and persistently request an immediate response. Most professional mold remediation companies will not be able to work with students or parents and will require a representative of the school to provide access for testing and mold removal.

Furthermore, if the college or university is not acting quickly, students should make noise on campus. They can inform the local newspaper and TV stations.

In addition, if students have any respiratory issues or other issues that might be a result of mold exposure, they should visit the Student Health Center straight away.

What Can Parents Do?

Every parent should research whether there are any schools or universities with a mold problem currently or in the past.

Parents of children with pre-existing diseases including asthma, allergies, or compromised immune systems need to exercise extra caution.

Essentially, parents should not be afraid to bring up the mold issue with the administration of the school or university.

Does It Actually Pose a Serious Health Risk?

It is possible. Young adults in good health shouldn’t typically encounter any serious health issues from small amounts of mold, however, many people might experience mild allergy symptoms.

Even little amounts of mold can cause asthma attacks and other health concerns in people who already have diseases that make them more vulnerable to mold-related health problems. In general, higher levels of mold are associated with more serious health problems.


Due to the potential health risks that mold can cause, students or parents should report mold cases to the school or university before it progresses.



Comments are closed.